Friday, April 17, 2009

Regarding our attack on the NYT

12:41 PM me:
M's mad about how we bash the NYT
12:42 PM He says, "if they don't do it, who will? It's not perfect, but it's the best we've got"
Manny: dude, they don't do it. And Josh Marshall does
12:44 PM me: I agree about Josh Marshall obviously, but will TPM then just be the new reliable form of journalism?
Why does the NYT have to be bad?
12:45 PM Manny: because the establishment is not the same as the people
Noam Chomsky is right
the New York times can't even talk about legalizing pot, for example
even though we through 400,000 people, mostly black men, in jail for it every year
12:46 PM and its more popular than Republicanism
me: but WHY can't they?
12:47 PM Manny: it's not their job
their job is to, as Chomsky says, "manufacture consent."
sp
me: sp?
12:49 PM Manny: spelling
12:51 PM me: ah yes, and I'm an english teacher
where was that chomsky piece?
me: not that, the one you were citing the other day
12:54 PM I know his book
12:55 PM Manny: that was some other mockery of the paper
12:56 PM me:
12:59 PM me: found it: http://www.zmag.org/zaudio/2521
I like Noam Chomsky a lot, seriously
1:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment