Wednesday, June 24, 2009

why we like buffy and not twilight

3:15 PM Manny: this is f--ing fantastic
3:18 PM me: wild
welcome to the new entertainment world
Manny: buffy is a hilarious rebuke to everything in twilight
3:19 PM me: awesome commentary
Manny: everything about buffy rejects on of those mormonist premises
3:21 PM me: word
3:22 PM but dude, Twighlight captures the sexual aspirations of a generation of women doesn't it?
or is that the aspirations of predatory men? I can't remember
3:23 PM Manny: I think it was the 200 year old men who want to do 16 year old girls
buffy had a boyfriend like that
she stabbed him
me: oh yeah, they are an important tv watching audience
Manny: which is why my daughter will get buffy and not twilight for chanukkah
3:24 PM me: mine too. I like the buffy moral: she slept with him, he turned into a monster, she stabbed the shit out of him. the way it should be
3:25 PM Manny: buffy is essentially about girls finding power
twilight is about girls being whores
3:26 PM me: indeed. I haven't gotten there yet in Packaging Girlhood yet. Turns out they have a blog though.

No comments:

Post a Comment