Thursday, June 11, 2009

we're back from vacation! (sorry, we forgot to tell you we left)...more of the usual

10:20 AM Manny: tyhe boston globe has to take a 23 percent pay cut
10:30 AM Manny: shame
they were so smug about working there
like the Times people

18 minutes
10:48 AM me: word. but they already have their comeuppance
10:49 AM Manny: yes, goading them won't help
10:50 AM there is no bigger douche in journalism though, than this guy
10:51 AM me: How do people like him get paid?
Manny: dunno
10:52 AM me: Basically the paper's like, sure, roll around like an asshole and do stupid things, write about them, and we will publish it
no priorities whatsoever
10:53 AM Manny: for a while, that was the future of journalism
10:54 AM me: well, if that's what you're doing, why do you need editors?
They shouldn't pay the reporters less, they should just fire all the editors
Manny: we were all supposed to write long "narratives'' about "ordinary people.''
10:55 AM me: boy, there is almost nothing I want to read about less
10:56 AM Manny: if you ask me "narrative" is the source of most media lies
me:word
I agree that narrative is a big part of the problem
it's where the reporter pretends to be an ethnographer
10:57 AM ethnographers aren't even good ethnographers
Manny: indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment